Among the many, many lessons from 2020, one certainly has to be that the pace of everything has accelerated.
At Auxano, we always strive to serve church leaders to the best of our ability
When the last two intersect, it’s time to make changes…
As we, like every church leader right now, assess everything we are presently doing in order to maximize future impact, it’s clear that even some of our best resources need to change.
The last issue of SUMS Remix was delivered Thursday, April 22*.
If all you’re doing is the jobs you used to do, you’re certainly missing out on the contributions you’re capable of.Seth Godin
Those who know me know my personality style, emotional makeup, and characteristics. If you don’t, this should give you a clue:
- Myers-Briggs – INTJ
- DISC – C (almost exclusively)
- Insights – Blue (deep, deep, blue)
- Enneagram – 5, wing 6
- Fascination Archetype – The Archer
- Strengths Finder – Learner, Intellection, Input
- APEST – Teaching
There’s more, but you get the drift.
SUMS Remix, and SUMS before it, have been an integral part of my work life since the fall of 2012. The idea of a creating a book summary product was one of my three primary tasks when I joined Auxano earlier that year.
Anything connected to reading, learning, and curiosity about the world around us was a natural fit for me – I have been a reader for as long as I can remember. It was instilled in me and modeled by my father, orchestrated by my mother, and a natural part of my brother’s and my childhood.
By the numbers, here’s where I’ve been:
- 8 years, 5 months of constant production cycles for SUMS and SUMS Remix
- 227 issues (includes 6 special, “commissioned” issues)
- 574 books referenced
- Several hundred more considered, but not used
- 6 vertical book towers and two shelves in my office, holding the above referenced books
- 3 postal carriers, and dozens of Amazon drivers, making regular visits to my house
- 1 very gifted team: Bryan Rose, Andrea Kandler, and James Bethany – creative input, grammar and style development, and graphic designer, respectively. They made it happen, week after week.
And it’s over.
Better is possible… if we care enough to walk away from what was and brave enough to build something new.Seth Godin
To best meet challenges facing leaders in a post-pandemic, accelerated-pace-of-ministry life, our team is redirecting our resources used to produce SUMS Remix to a laser-focus on these four areas:
- Vision Clarity – because the post-pandemic church must be even more engaging and focus on accomplishing their unique disciple-making call
- Visionary Planning – because every ministries and leaders must work in complete alignment toward a collaborative understanding of God’s better future
- Generosity Culture – because giving has been steady over the last year, but we must grow everyone to be generous disciples
- Generosity Campaign – because healthy growth requires resources, and how the church funds large-scale initiatives must change
If any of those areas resonate within you or your leadership and you would like to know more about how the Auxano team can help your leadership in this new era, just fill out this connection card and one of our Navigators will reach out and schedule a quick call.
I’ve already jumped headfirst into the world of research and writing for engagement, real-time development of content that leaders are asking questions about, and supporting our Navigators in their onsite and virtual journeys with churches across the country.
When it comes to books and reading, I’m still making weekly trips to the library, still curious about the world around us, and still adding to my “To Be Read” lists, because…
Want to talk books, ideas, and such? Leave a comment below!
* That day is significant in many ways, not the least of which it was the only issue (out of 221 SUMS and SUMS Remix) that was not delivered on our “every other Wednesday” target, which began in October 2012. Just sayin’…
One thought on “All Endings Set Up New Beginnings”
Thanks Bob for the years of insight and thought provoking comments, and most of all for the recommended books you previewed. I will miss you.