My college experience included four years serving as a student assistant in the office of the chairman of our school’s economics professor. For 10 hours each week I got a healthy dose of Economics – everything from Econ 101 to advanced statistical analysis. Dr. Cho certainly knew his subject matter, and the quizzes, exams, and homework I graded made me appreciate the field of study, even to the point of taking extra classes and obtaining a minor in economics.
Over the 30 years since college, various economic concepts have popped up in my work on a church staff and as a church consultant. The most regular of these has been “The Pareto Principle,” first written about in 1906 by Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto.
You probably know it as the “80/20 Rule.”
John Maxwell recalls learning of it in a college business management course, calling it one of the most profound eureka moments in his life:
The professor was teaching the Pareto Principle, and as he explained its impact, my eyes were opened. He explained that:
- 80 percent of traffic jams occur on 20 percent of the roads
- 80 percent of classroom participation comes from 20 percent of students
- 80 percent of the time you wear 20 percent of your clothes
- 80 percent of the profits come from only 20 percent of the customers
- 80 percent of problems are generated by 20 percent of the employees
- 80 percent of all decisions can be made on 20 percent of the information
What an eye opener! It meant that the best 20 percent of my activities were sixteen times more productive than the remaining 80 percent. (from Leadership Gold, by John Maxwell)
Dozens of books in my Leadership Library refer to the 80/20 rule, most often in terms of resource and time efficiency. In this context, I think it is appropriate, and a very useful rule of thumb. Certain assumptions can follow from this idea – you should focus on your best customers, or your hardest working staff members, or your most profitable selling item – with these you reap the greatest results for the least effort.
In ChurchWorld, a handful of members typically account for most of the effort in the congregations. (A corollary to this principle is that a few members cause most of the headaches, but I’ll save that for another day.)
- How can you shift more of your church members from sitting to serving, from being spectators to engaging more deeply?
- Would doing so help more people to grow and develop spiritually?
A classic Leadership Network publication may just be what you are looking for to answer those questions. The Other 80 Percent is a practical guide for church leaders, written by respected researcher Scott Thumma and noted author Warren Bird. The authors draw upon research across a broad range of Protestant churches of all kinds.
I can almost hear Dr. Cho now: “the distribution of your sheep can be shown like this…”
Beginning tomorrow, I would like to invite you to look deeper into The Other 80 Percent and see how you might use it to help move your church forward.