In the end, as a leader, you are always going to get a combination of two things: what you create and what you allow. – Henry Cloud
According to clinical psychologist and leadership consultant Henry Cloud, boundaries are made up of two essential things: what you create and what you allow.
As the leader of an organization – a small group, a team, a department, maybe even the whole organization – you are responsible for the boundaries of that organization:
- The people you invite in
- What the goals and purposes are going to be
- What behavior is going to be allowed – and what isn’t
- The culture
- The agenda
- The rules
The leaders’ boundaries define and shape what is going to be and what isn’t.
In Boundaries for Leaders, Dr. Cloud leverages his expertise of human behavior, neuroscience, and business leadership to explain how the best leaders set boundaries within their organizations–with their teams and with themselves–to improve performance and increase employee and customer satisfaction.
In a voice that is motivating and inspiring, Dr. Cloud offers practical advice on how to manage teams, coach direct reports, and instill an organization with strong values and culture.
Boundaries for Leaders contains seven leadership boundaries that set the stage, tone, and culture for a results-driven organization, including how to:
- Help people focus their attention on the things that matter most
- Build the emotional climate that drives brain functioning
- Facilitate connections that boost energy and momentum
- Create organizational thought patterns that limit negativity and helplessness
- Identify paths for people to take control of the activities that drive results
- Create high-performance teams organize around the behaviors that drive results
- Lead yourself in a manner that protects the vision
Boundaries for Leaders is essential reading for executives and aspiring leaders who want to create successful companies with satisfied employees and customers, while becoming more resilient leaders themselves.
part of the BookNotes Series – brief excerpts from books I am currently reading