I am not referring to body shape here – but actually, I am.
an occasional post in the “Brand You” series…
Popularized by Willow Creek Community Church and Saddleback Community Church in the 1990s, SHAPE is often depicted as an acronym of the following:
- S – Spiritual gifts: a set of special abilities that God has given you to share His love and to serve others
- H – Heart: the special passions God has given you so that you can glorify Him on earth
- A – Ability: the set of talents that God gave you when you were born, which He also want s you to use to make an impact for Him
- P – Personality: the special way God wired you to navigate life and fulfill your unique Kingdom purpose
- E – Experience: those parts of your past, both positive and painful, which God intends to use in great ways
Churches who used assessments, interviews, and other discovery techniques wanted members to understand themselves – and what God was calling them to do in service to Him. Starting out as primarily document or paper-based, the process quickly migrated to the digital world. Countless churches now use some variant of the SHAPE acronym to help people focus in on their own irreplaceable, richly detailed personal design.
When trying to determine your “Brand You,” understanding your SHAPE would be a great place to start.
The Body of Christ – the church – is made up of many members, like you. Understanding your SHAPE will help the Body be in better “shape.”
Do you know your SHAPE?
Would you like to know more about SHAPE?